Choices of One by Timothy Zhan


I enjoyed Choices of One more than Allegiance, it's predecessor. In fact I enjoyed it more than the past couple of FOTJ books. Perhaps all of them. Yes Zahn contradicted and kind of embellished some of Mara's abilities with the lightsaber but I could brush it off. I'm not married to the exactitude of the finer details of canon at the expense of a good story. Especially when it's Zahn. And this was a good story that was well executed. Sure, Mara could have used the lightaber less and I'd have been happier but this was one dense little pot boiler with a lot going on. I even appreciated how Luke wasn't the Force demigod that he is in most post ROTJ novels. He wasn't the centre of the novel at all. He was just where he would be at this point in the timeline. It was nice to see what will probably be the last of Luke portrayed as such an inexperienced novice. And I finally appreciated Han and Leia again! I mean I HATE them from LOTF on but this was classic Han, Chewie and Leia. Han was utterly indispensable in this book and his cockiness and insight weren't the rantings of an old man long past his prime. Next to Thrawn and maybe Mara Jade, Han is the most intelligent character in the book. He did stuff that mattered and didn't bore me. Who'd a thunk? The Thrawn stuff wasn't overly complicated. It was easy to figure out a few reveals but some still made their way to surprise me. All in all a great old fashioned Star Wars story that is leaps and bounds more interesting than Allegiance.

No comments: